Monday, January 24, 2011

Tuscarora Journal: A Reminiscence "Friends and Neighbors, 1993"

Friends

On his way back to Ukiah after visiting his son in Salt Lake, Doug Puckering, math teacher at Mendocino College, parked his camper down near the turn-off and spent the night.  The next day he drove around Tuscarora, trying to figure out which was our place.  A devout born-again Christian, Doug later told me that "somebody ought to fix up the cemetery."

My cousin Chris came out from Salt Lake, took a great photograph of me, Mom, Itha, and Annique standing in front of the adobe house.  I love that picture.

When my friend Heidi came, we--Mom, Heidi, Itha, Annique, and I--spent the night in the little cabins at Taylor Canyon.  We continued the discussion about "who would like this place." Neither Itha or Heidi thought their husbands would.  I told both of them, "if you ever want to run away from home, you can always come to Tuscarora."

Other friends:  Sarah Sweetwater.  She loves Tuscarora.  Mom's best friend in Elko, Berna Johnson, came up with her sister and brother-in-law, Kathleen and Bob Ewald.  They didn't say anything critical, but I'm sure they think Mom is crazy.

Neighbors


Charlie Woodbury, 81, was the one who said to my mother, "Helen, I know you are a good old ranch gal.  What're you doing hanging around with them art people?"

Lee Deffabaugh.  I transplanted a yellow rose from her back yard.  I think there are only four lawns in town--hers, the Parks, James's, and the Pottery School.

Jim Linnehan (aka James) left us a beautiful wildflower, wild grass bouquet in a cast iron pot.

Milt d'Azevedo, retired truck driver, Marin County Portuguese.  "Me 'n Charlie's next move is over there."  He nods toward the cemetery.

Felix Thornhill, the Ukiah Thornhills, much to Doug's chagrin.  "Where's Doug?" Felix says.  "I want to take him fishin'."  Milt says nobody will go fishing with Felix anymore.  Felix tells us about his "prostrate operation."  "You turn it on and off, like a little spigot."  No one wanted to inquire further.

One day two bottle hunters came.  We talked to them but wouldn't let them dig on our property.

No comments:

Post a Comment