Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tuscarora Journal: A Reminiscence "Second Artists' Week, August 1995"

Second Artists' Week, August 1995
Nancy and Rosemary

           "By Any Other Name..."

I started the day by sitting on the flat circle of gravel, a clearing in the midst of dried grass, weeds, and sagebrush about twenty feet from the trucks.  You could call it a meditation spot, but I prefer not to.  I stood up and went over to look at the old gray truck with a weathered stock rack and "Kenect, McGill, 129" in faded black stencil on the door of the driver's side.  Its sidekick is the faded red-to-gray Chevy flat bed.  Next to the wire fence is a jaunty green Willy's .

I'm not into meditation and I don't believe in personifying inanimate objects.  However--when I bring a cup of coffee out here and sit in the morning sun letting my mind wander--I guess that would be meditation if I relinquished the pleasure of random thoughts.  And--if those two trucks and that jeep could talk, I know they'd have stories to tell.  How did they get here?




No comments:

Post a Comment